Bring Your Own Device (BYOD)
Clermont BYOD Procedures
BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) users will no longer need to complete registration forms for their devices. They will automatically go through a registration process that will capture and store the required information when the device is brought to school. Please, see the SBTS or the TSSpec if you are unable to connect to the wireless at school.
Students are permitted to bring a personally owned electronic and computing device to school to support instruction. The use of student owned devices is restricted to instructional activities under the direct supervision of a staff member. Students using privately owned electronic devices must follow the policy stated in Student Rights and Responsibilities and adhere to the FCPS Acceptable Use Policy while on school property, attending school-sponsored activities, or using the FCPS network.
Approved personally owned electronic and computing devices include: laptops, netbooks, tablets, and e-readers. Fairfax County Public Schools is not responsible for any device or data loss, theft, damage or other associated costs of replacement or repair incurred during the school day as a result of participation in this program. Fairfax County Public Schools is also not responsible for the maintenance or configuration of personally owned electronic and computing devices. Maintenance and charging are the responsibility of the student to be completed at home and not at school during instructional times.
Personally Owned Computing/Network Devices (BYOD)
Students using personally owned electronic devices must follow the policy stated in the Student Rights and Responsibilities Handbook while on school property, attending school-sponsored activities, or using the FCPS network.
- Students using a personally owned device with a wireless connection are only permitted to connect to the FCPS Wi-Fi network (not private cellular service) while on FCPS property.
- When applicable, appropriate virus-checking software must be installed, updated, and made active prior to any personally owned computing device being placed on the FCPS network.
- No device placed on the FCPS network will have software that monitors, analyzes, or may cause disruption to the FCPS network.
- FCPS is not responsible for any device or data loss, theft, damage or other associated costs of replacement or repair as a result of a student participating in the BYOD initiative.
- FCPS staff will not be responsible to store, support, or troubleshoot a student owned device.
- Students will take full responsibility for any personally owned device and will appropriately secure all devices when not in use.
- Activities on the FCPS network may be subject to discovery under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA). FCPS reserves the right to monitor and investigate all devices and activities on the FCPS network. The device may also be confiscated by school authorities in accordance with the Student Rights and Responsibilities (SR&R) document.
Personal Device Usage Guidelines & Expectations
- Use of personal devices is restricted to the owner of the device. Devices are not allowed to be shared with other students, including siblings.
- Pre-approved devices shall be used solely for instructional purposes in the classroom at the teacher’s discretion.
- Devices that do not have Wi-Fi capability may not be used for internet access.
- All devices are strictly prohibited in bathrooms, the cafeteria, during lunch, and on the playground during recess.
- Additional prohibited areas may be determined by the teacher or school staff.
- Students shall be responsible for adhering to the technology use expectations (FCPS Acceptable Use Policy and local school policy) and their overall use of technology.
- It is a privilege for students to use their personally owned device at school and this privilege may be taken away if students act irresponsibly or violate school policy.